Day 2 Royal Ascot and the feature race is the group 1 Prince of Wales stakes over 2000m. Last year this race was won by So You Think and it shows a smart turn of foot is required in a small field.
Only two horses I want to be on in this race, the favourite 2. Al Kazeem defeated Camelot last start in a small field and possesses solid form lines including a 4.5L defeat of Dunaden last year. The best bet however is the French raider 4. Maxios. Loved the race in longchamp back on the 28th of April where Pastoious won who was favourite for the Singapore gold cup with Dunaden back in 3rd when putting in his best performance in some time. Maxios then come out and won a group 1 at his next start in Paris defeating the always honest group 1 performer Planteur. Maxios is a distance specialist with four
wins from six starts. The important factor here though is the barrier, 5 is perfect for this race! He will sit just behind the pace makers one off the fence and can see him getting a charmed run.
Back 4. Maxios
And take the quinella Maxios and Al Kazeem.
The 2013 edition of this 2000m feature race is probably the strongest in the 13 year history of the race. Runners from Europe, Australia and Hong Kong come to tackle the locals with plenty of group 1 international form meeting.
Lets have a look at the runners
1. Meandre - comes into this race third up after a last start sixth to animal kingdom at the Dubai World Cup. Hasn't been able to get past red cadeaux as yet however has run in the past two high quality arc de triumphs. Must be respected.
2. Military attack - comes into this race winning the past three straight in Hong Kong, that form looks suspect for me coming into this hi quality race. California memory has been battling around Hong Kong for many years straight now and is probably group 2 on the international stage.
3. Pastorious - last start winner in France in what will be a great form race, Dunaden was 2 lengths back and never a threat. This horse is only four years old and is improving every start. Three group 1 wins from five starts across multiple countries the one to beat.
4. Red Cadeaux - ultra consistent horse who is arguably in career best form. Trainer is a superb traveller of horses internationally who is taking this one his fifth country in sixth starts. Certainly can't argue with the class of the form however one gets the impression he is enjoying chasing horse but doesn't want to be in front at the end
5. Dan Excel - kept fighting to win last time out to win at Sha Tin, gets the inside draw this time however don't think the 2000m suits.
6. Hunters light - nine wins from 18 starts for this goldophin runner who was slightly disappointing at the Dubai World Cup meeting 9lengths behind red cadeaux. Will appreciate getting back onto the good surface today. Prize money suggests this one has been well placed throughout career.
7. Mawingo - former German galloper who gets around in Australia these days, hasn't found best form in 2013 and would shock if in money today.
8. Mull of killough - seven year old galloper who has never been in better form and earn't his first overseas trip. Hard to see him being competitive here.
9. Flax - local galloper with a strong strike rate however never won over this distance and was disappointing last time even with excuses.10. Lizarre - former South African runner who is ultra consistent on home tracks at Kranji, not up to this standard.
11. Deep pockets - finish fourth in the lead up run after being interfered multiplier times. All career wins have come on the turf and is placed in 3 of 4 group 1s. Local place chance
12. Ready to strike - second in the lead up race and used to carrying big weights may help here. Should get good run from an inside gate today and will in a group of local runners behind the class of the field.
13. Better life - winner of the lead up race in impressive fashion, is a multiple group 1 winner and proven over further ground which will help. Again should be one of the leading local chances.
Best Bet - Pastorious is a horse on the way up, take any price over 3.20 for the win and watch him come out wide and strong late. Red cadeaux is ultra consistent however I suspect he may get left a little flat footed by his rivals today. Take one of the locals for the minor 3rd prize - deep pockets was a forgive last start and looks the best value.